How To Create A Winning Dissertation Proposal In Biology
A dissertation proposal is a very important practice and useful as well through which you communicate to your committee or your teachers that the topic you are working on is an important issue that raises vital questions which you are going to pursue and that you are capable of pursuing it.
It is although dependent on the University or the college that you attend as to how a dissertation proposal should be written. Generally the word limit for a dissertation proposal is 500 to 1,000 words which may vary from one institution to another and you verify it before you start off.
How to create a winning dissertation proposal in biology
A research proposal in biology would follow more or less a similar format. Biology as a subject offers a number of areas to research on and the proposal must thus highlight the important points that you have tried to analyze and reach a conclusion. You should focus on one problem and provide all the necessary information the committee is required to learn about to be convinced that the topic you have chosen is worthy of research and that you are suitable for pursuing it. A dissertation proposal in biology should be created in the following manner.
A proposal must have 5 important sections. They are 1) Abstract, 2) Background, 3) Specific Aims, 4) Experimental Approach and 5) Literature Citations.
- Abstract- This is the beginning of the proposal where you are required to address the problem in a short paragraph. It must also speak about how you are going to approach the problem.
- Background: This is the portion where you need to explain the background of the issue in question and provide necessary citations to it as well as discuss its implications in your field.
- Specific Aims: You are needed to find out the specific aims that approach the issue as a whole. In this particular section these specific aims should be listed and then elaborated.
- Experimental Approach: This section follows the specific aims and you can explain, analyze and state your dissertation in the experimental approach section. You should also use this section for stating the expected outcomes.
- Literature Citations: In this section the issue is to be addressed precisely but in a concise manner. Also the experiments that you have undertaken in your dissertation should be justified according to the right literature citations.